FAQ for giving lectures about Free Software

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Thu Jul 6 12:24:24 UTC 2006

Matthias Kirschner wrote:
> * Yavor Doganov <yavor at doganov.org> [2006-07-06 00:10:04 +0300]:
>

>> This might be true for languages as English, where free-as-in-freedom
>> and free-as-in-beer use the same word.  For most of the Slavic
>> languages this is not so, free-as-in-freedom is definitely derived
>> from liberty.
>>
>> But I don't think at all that another term should be used.  In all
>> cases one should speak about Free Software, if there is a language
>> problem, the first sentence of the speech must clarify this.
>>

> Yes, just add "it's free as in freedom not price".

And the need to explain this in english as a benefit if done properly.
it is a distinction that the hearer will recognize the need to remember
and take extra effort to do so.

As in:
he: "so you suggest we use free software?"
me: "Yes but free doesn't mean price it means freedom, it avoid lock-in"
he: "ahhh" (knowing nod)
me: "although in this case the license is zero cost too, but you
probably want us to get a support contract"

Sam