My concerns about GPLv3 process

Francesco Poli frx at firenze.linux.it
Sun Jan 29 23:52:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 17:56:40 +0100 Stefano Maffulli wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 11:55 +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > I hope that's true, but the lack of progress on the GFDL issue is
> > not what I'd call a good precedent...  :-(
>
> During the GPLv3 launch a new version of the GFDL has been announced
> *as ready to ship* by Moglen.  It will be released soon.  So the GFDL
> issue can be set aside, for a moment.  FSF does listen to all comments
> and criticisms, but as for all complex matters it takes time to act
> avoiding mistakes.  Changing a license is a very complex task, it
> takes attention and energy and cannot be done lighthearted.  It should
> also be clear that the reason why GFDL has not been updated yet is
> because GPLv3 was already in the queue and it had precedence.  I am
> sure that everybody agrees that GPL and LGPL are more important than
> GFDL :)

Of course changing a license is not at all an easy task.
But so far there was little indication that FSF was actually recognizing
the existence of the issues raised about the GFDL...

Anyway, we will see once a new GFDL version is out...
Or even better, once a new GFDL public draft is out and asking for
comments.

> > So, let's hope I won't throw away mine...
>
> Let us know if that happens, because it shouldn't.  The process is
> open, all comments will be taken into consideration and some of them
> will become issues that will be analised by Stallman and Moglen.  You
> can track your comments and the issues related to your comment on the
> gplv3.fsf.org web site.

I am currently submitting comments, I hope that this process will
actually be useful...

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4