possible gpl violation by webshop xt:commerce

Andreas K. Foerster list at AKFoerster.de
Sat Jan 21 16:06:53 UTC 2006

> On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 14:01 +0100, Hanno B?ck wrote:
> > The webshop xt:commerce, which is a fork of the GPLed oscommerce, doesn't
> > provide it's latest version for download, but they still claim it's GPL.
> >
> > Now, to get the source, you need to pay a "development- and support fee" of 98
> > eur for twelve months.

Yes, that is okay
There is also such a question in the GPL FAQ:
http://gnu.mirror.xaranet.de/licenses/gpl-faq.html#CompanyGPLCostsMoney

But when you can get a copy anyhow, you could put it online.
That would be legal, whether they like it or not.

But I assume, they mostly charge for their support, and that's okay.

Am Saturday, dem 21. Jan 2006 schrieb Alex Hudson:

> Now, if you purchase it and they withhold the proper source, that would
> be a violation.

Yes, but as far as I can see, it is written in PHP - so it is not
binary code anyway.

--
AKFoerster