Source code and test suites (was: Re: Closing this list (gplv3 at fsfeurope.org))

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Wed Jan 18 20:01:06 UTC 2006

* Werner Koch:

> Feel free to use this list for now.  If the traffic increases too much
> to disturb otehr discussions we could think about moving the GPL topic
> to somewhere else.

Okay.

The section on source code does not mention test suites.  Have they
been considered at all?

For sufficiently complex software, a suite of regression tests is
extremely helpful for making modifications.  However, in some areas,
there is a strong interest in proprietary test suites (in the GCC
context, for example).  Forced publication of test suites would unduly
extend the scope of software copyright.  That's why I'm not sure if
anything should be done about this.