BGW Technology

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 12 18:54:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 03:30:19PM +0100, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> As the process has broken down entirely (except for step 1, which I
> still do), it might make sense to actually rethink the technological
> integration from the ground up in order to make it more resilient.
>
> I have found myself thinking that a CMS (Drupal? Typo3?) or maybe a
> Blogging Software (Wordpress?) with review and workgroup management
> and authorisation capabilites, as well as the possibility to add
> modules like automatically emailing certain language versions to
> people who subscribed to them might be a good idea.

While a nice software helping with the workflow would be cool,
I believe that the optimal end result should be a set of static pages
that could just be placed on a folder to be served over the web.

And it is not necessary to set up a full blown CMS.
The is a chance that it even gets in the way,
by distracting from the real task.
Maintaining it for a long time, is another problem.
Usually just the software-updates for security issues, can be quite a hassle.
Still, those are just warning, all power to the dedicated CMS builders. :-)

I help maintaining a few webpages with simple templating mechanisms,
that do the navigational links. Which works suprisingly well.

One is based on m4:
	See http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/doc/www/

another one is done with tiny python script:
http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewcvs/skencil.org/?root=skencil

	Bernhard