Gnash - GNU Flash Player / John Gilmore

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Jan 4 13:56:10 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 13:49 +0100, strk wrote:
> I'm ignorant about SVG, are you talking about javascript or does
> it have a SVG-specific scripting language ?

It doesn't define one itself, but it has a DOM. So, in a web browser
(which is where you'll usually see it I expect), yeah, it'll be the
native Javascript operating on the DOM much as you do with HTML right
now.

> I think the best approach would be being modular and accept both
> GL libraries and 2d libraries.

That's actually already the case. The problem is that the non-hardware
accelerated libraries are not sufficiently fast to keep up with 3D
hardware, no matter what age it is (my old-ish Radeon 9200SE blows away
my 2200+ Athlon XP, for example).

In theory, you can use software rendering. In practice, it's just not
quick enough.

Cheers,

Alex.