Gnash - GNU Flash Player / John Gilmore

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Jan 4 11:48:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 12:43 +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > 3D-type operations are really useful for doing things like drawing SVG
> > objects (a standardised alternative to Flash), fonts, but it also makes
> > the application a lot more consistent cross-platform apparently.
>
> Does SVG have all the features regarding animation
> and related effects, like sound?

Oh yeah. SVG even defines a network socket layer. Nobody supports the
full SVG spec. as far as I know, though (e.g., Firefox 1.5 supports SVG,
but I'm pretty sure it doesn't do animation yet - though I think you can
fake it with scripting).

> Again for all the flash movies out there, I hope that Gnash will succeed.
> There have been a few attempts before to create Free Software flash players,
> but have not made it over the hill of wider acceptance.

I agree. I don't think a GL requirement is to Gnash's detriment; rather,
I think it will allow them to concentrate on understanding the file
format than rewriting primitive graphics operations.

Cheers,

Alex.