FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Sun Feb 26 13:26:56 UTC 2006

   > The FSF _requires_ copyright assignments for works to be
   > incoperated into a GNU project (not all, but most).  If it cannot
   > get a copyright assignment for a change, the change isn't
   > incoperated.

   Never mind that Alessandro's and my examples specifically involved
   the change *not* being incorporated into the original project.

Nothing stops anyone from incoperating the changes into a project
which isn't the original one.

   >    Let's say I write a shoot-em-up game, where you're shooting
   >    aliens (similar to, say, Doom). I release that under GPL.
   >
   >    Now, someone else comes along and changes the game (which
   >    they're perfectly entitled to do under GPL,
   >    obviously). Instead of shooting at aliens, you're now shooting
   >    Shia Muslims, as an example.
   >
   > They had to add new material to do this, i.e. change the pictures
   > of the monsters into Shia Muslims.  So it isn't as simple as
   > `modification'.

   OK, so changing is not modification, I see. Please go on ...

You know perfectly well what I was refering to, and simply resort to
stupid comments like these, again and again.

If you remove a file, and replace it with a new file you have a
change, if you take the original file, and change the colours in it,
you have a modified version of the same file.

It is clear that you are only interested in causing a flame war.