FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

simo simo.sorce at xsec.it
Sat Feb 25 15:25:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 13:59 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    You have repeatedly shown why _in_your_opinion_ invariant sections
>    make sense, without touching on the problems (fwiw, I think they
>    make sense, but the problems outweight the benetis).
>
> I don't see them as problems, I have repeatedly explained why they are
> not problems and have repatedly stated that I do not see these issues
> as problems.  It is exactly the same scenario of combining a GPLed
> work with a work which is licensed under an license which is
> incompatible with the GPL.  Both of which are free software.

The fact that _you_ don't see them as a problem, is very well understood
at this point. The fact that _you_ have an opinion does not mean all
other are wrong or lying or absurd, etc. By flooding the list of mails
at this point I must say your are just pissing people off, and you may
even obtain exactly the opposite effects you want to reach.

I recognize you had some points, but you are not going to convince
anyone on this list by just repeating over and over and over again the
same thing. We are not puppets and can read our archives, mere
repetition is just a waste of bandwidth, it's useless.

In 2 hours my mailbox have seen 13 mails from you, and I've read 0, I'm
full off, and I am sure many others are.

> Maybe Because Frank is to busy spreading lies.

This kind of disrespect from you is what is pissing me and many others
off. Can you stop marking opinions or beliefs you don't agree on as
lies ?

Let's return to civil discussion where people think of others in
positive terms and try to do their best to not attack each other.

Summarizing the positions seen so far are these:

Software:
 A) anything representable on a digital medium
 B) only programs, data is not software
 C) some mid position

GNU FDL:
 1) it is bad because it is not free software (with meaning A)
 2) it is ok because it is a free documentation license (software as B)
 3) it has some problems but it is ok
 4) problems outweight benefits

Generally the problems are caused by the fact that GFDL include
invariant sections or that the text of the license is too difficult to
read and/or apply.

That's all I think and I have not seen any opinion changing by an inch
in the last days. So please let's all just stop here unless there is
something really new to add to the discussion.

Simo.