FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Sat Feb 25 11:46:13 UTC 2006

   I agree. But as I've proposed and asked before, do we really need a
   revised FDL or other new license to achieve that goal? Wouldn't it
   suffice to put the primary content under the (L)GPL and the
   "invariant sections" under a simple unlimited-distribution,
   no-modification license?

The GPL/Lesser GPL are specificially designed for software.  And for
either of those to be suitable for documentation, they would need
extensive changes.  For example, large parts section 2 simply cannot
apply to documents.

Such a change would also allow for documents which are completly
invariant, something the GFDL specifically disallows.