FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Sat Feb 25 10:58:38 UTC 2006

   > The moment you want to make it so that what _I_ wrote is
   > something else,

   That's not only legally not allowed, that's a plain impossibility.

It is perfectly legal to modify what one has written, this is what the
GPL does, it grants such a right.

   Nobody can "make it so that what [you] wrote is something else",
   [...]

Sure they can.  I write a program looks like this:

(if (give 'ams 'cookies)
    (setq ams-happy t)
  (setq ams-happy nil))

Lets translate it into English: If ams gets a cookie then ams will be
happy, otherwise he won't.

So now you modify this with s/cookies/death/, and viola.  What I wrote
was modified into something that is simply not true, yet still allowed
if such permission was given.