FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Feb 23 22:12:42 UTC 2006

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org>
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 22:04 +0100, Frank Heckenbach wrote:
> >  According to the FDL, dedications can certainly
> > be secondary sections and thus invariant sections.
>
> Oh really? Let's quote (again):
>
> 	A "Secondary Section" is a named appendix or a front-matter
> 	section of the Document that deals exclusively with the=09
> 	relationship of the publishers or authors of the Document to the
> 	Document's overall subject (or to related matters) and contains
> 	nothing that could fall directly within that overall subject.
> 	(Thus, if the Document is in part a textbook of mathematics, a
> 	Secondary Section may not explain any mathematics.) The
> 	relationship could be a matter of historical connection with the
> 	subject or with related matters, or of legal, commercial,
> 	philosophical, ethical or political position regarding them.
>
> So... no. No dedications.

A dedication could be to a person who has started your involvement
with the subject, so would be a matter of historical connection,
which is explicitly permitted above. I think that much is obvious.

"Ode to my goldfish" was a frequently-used example and I don't
remember anyone claiming it couldn't be an invariant section
before this year. Was it so claimed before then?

[...]
> The rest is irrelevant, since it is clear you haven't read the GFDL.

Can you prove he hasn't read it? Then don't claim it so quickly.

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask