FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Thu Feb 23 19:51:36 UTC 2006

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 13:46 +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
>

>>I argue that "perform" "teach from" and "read" are equivalences of
>>"run" for literary works, and I will now explain to you how I think
>>that.
>>

>You can't argue that unless you mean to argue that software freedom 0 is
>the same as software freedom 1.

I admit that for literary works the distinction is blurred because it is
a human that carries out both activities; with software the distinction
is clear because one of the activities cannot be accomplished without
the use of a computer.

>>I don't intend to force you into making such a statement.
>>

>I don't see any shotguns aimed at anyone, so I can't see how anyone can
>force anyone to anything.

Quite so, but I was anxious to avoid the appearance of doing so. I meant
that once I felt I had explained myself, it would be sufficient, even if
you think my view is not supportable. I clarify myself slightly in this
post, but I think thats enough!

>>>First remember that run is a form of ./program (be it interpreter
>>>program or an executable by itself).
>>>
>>>"perform" you don't perform a book, you read it or segments of it.
>>>

>>That is one use of a book, I have also performed books.
>>The books were bound scripts.
>>

>However, freedom 0 is not about "use" but about "running".

indeed; I was just selecting the form of use most equivalent to running
for a literary work.

>"Use" is too generic. For an user, "use" means running. For a
>programmer, "use" may mean incorporating code (library or copy & paste).
>
>That may be the basis for so much ado about nothing. Not understanding
>what the terms mean.

It was merely an attempt to arrive at an equivalent freedom for literary
works that don't require a piece of hardware to "run" on, and to
consider what "run" might mean. I felt that abstracting run (for
software) might also describe some use for literary works, and give insight.

Anyway....

Sam