FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Feb 23 18:11:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 13:46 +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> I argue that "perform" "teach from" and "read" are equivalences of
> "run" for literary works, and I will now explain to you how I think
> that.

You can't argue that unless you mean to argue that software freedom 0 is
the same as software freedom 1.

> I don't intend to force you into making such a statement.

I don't see any shotguns aimed at anyone, so I can't see how anyone can
force anyone to anything.

> > First remember that run is a form of ./program (be it interpreter
> > program or an executable by itself).
> >
> > "perform" you don't perform a book, you read it or segments of it.
> >
> That is one use of a book, I have also performed books.
> The books were bound scripts.

However, freedom 0 is not about "use" but about "running".

"Use" is too generic. For an user, "use" means running. For a
programmer, "use" may mean incorporating code (library or copy & paste).

That may be the basis for so much ado about nothing. Not understanding
what the terms mean.

Rui