FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Feb 23 12:22:44 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 11:40 +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> >But "read" is not "run" (freedom 0) but "study" (freedom 1).
> perhaps "perform" or "teach from" or "read aloud" is "run".

I can't imagine how you can think that.

First remember that run is a form of ./program (be it interpreter
program or an executable by itself).

"perform" you don't perform a book, you read it or segments of it.
read is study, hence perform is a form of reading aimed mainly at
others.
You can also perform in that exact same form the source code and it
still is not running, and most people would be totally pissed off for
hearing such gibberish as s//%"$/$/dsfsur&sdruywi5/ or whatever
mind-numbing language you wrote the code (just think brain-fuck).

"teach from" duplicate example. "teach" is a form of "perfomance"

"read aloud" duplicate example, see above.

Rui