Savannah rejects a project because it uses GPL

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at vrijschrift.org
Mon Feb 20 12:52:37 UTC 2006

At Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:09:48 +0000,
MJ Ray wrote:

> "Alfred M\. Szmidt" <ams at gnu.org>
> > joey at infodrom.de
> > >  So, was this a mistake?  And if so, has it be corrected?
> >
> > May this be a lesson to all.
>
> In case anyone missed it, the lesson was: publicise problems.
> The corrections happened after it was posted to many lists.
>
> Also, it's only a postponement, not a long-term fix. Please
> help explain to savannah-hackers-public at gnu why requiring a
> known-buggy GPL-incompatible licence is a bad idea.

Requiring a certain license is just a stupid thing to begin with. The
requirement should be that it's free (or you can add the extra
requirement that it should be GPL-compatible like gna.org has, that's
also useful because you then share all code).

But if somebody wants to release his documentation under the BSD
license, I don't see any reason why that should be forbidden by
savannah.

Jeroen Dekkers