Documentation vs. Software (Re: Savannah rejects a project because it uses GPL)

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Thu Feb 16 22:14:19 UTC 2006

   What about starting looking beyond these defects and go to the
   substance ?

If the defect is so grave as in this case, it is hard to look at the
substance.

   So what do you call a spreadsheet with macros ?  Is it a document?
   Is it a program ?

It is a spreadsheet.  Is a poem a document?

   To me what differentiate a program from a document is that a
   program can handle inputs, while, generally, documents should not.

Isn't that what I said initaially? Documents are static, programs are
not...  I don't see how this differs from `handle inputs' to `not
handle inputs'.

   Said that I know there a re documents that can change and take
   inputs, so it really does not make any sense to draw a clear line,
   the line moves on a case per case base.

I don't think anyone wants to draw a `clear' line.  I could probobly
if I tried hard enough to find things which a kinda programs, and
kinda art.

   > Debian is cleary non-free, there is nothing to dispute it.  It
   > isn't even based on a opinion.  It is simple to prove: Does the
   > Debian project distribute non-free programs? Of course it does,
   > see the non-free software section on their FTP site.

   I think this discussion is meaningless here.

I don't, many Debian developers try and confuse users, we should do
our out most to unconfuse them.

Cheers.