Manuals, software, programs (Re: Savannah rejects a project because it uses GPL)

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Tue Feb 14 16:07:31 UTC 2006

   "Alfred M\. Szmidt" <ams at gnu.org>

   >    > Program ::= binary data that can be executed by a computer.
   >    >
   >    > Source code ::= Something that can be converted to binary data
   >    >                 that can be executed by a computer (either in
   >    >                 one, or several steps)
   >    >
   >    > Software ::= Any of these two.
   [...]
   > Have you actually programmed an analogue computer?  You are changing
   > the _hardware_ to make it do things, not software.  Please, if you are
   > not interested in continuing this disucssion, stop sending stupid
   > remarks like these.

   The consequences seem stupid because those definitions are
   inconsistent with reality. It was your definition of programs as a
   subset of software which led to that contradiction.

A program is binary data that is executed by a computer.  An analogue
computer does not have binary data.  Software is anything that can be
converted into a a program.

Since an analogue computer doesn't handle binary data, there cannot be
a contradiction.

   I don't hold much hope of reasonable discussion with you, but
   highlighting your absurdity is worthwhile.

It isn't I who resort to name calling and insults here.