Manuals, software, programs (Re: Savannah rejects a project because it uses GPL)

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Tue Feb 14 14:49:20 UTC 2006

   > Program ::= binary data that can be executed by a computer.
   >
   > Source code ::= Something that can be converted to binary data
   >                 that can be executed by a computer (either in
   >                 one, or several steps)
   >
   > Software ::= Any of these two.
   >
   > Data ::= Manuals, music, ...
   >
   > That is what I have used for many years anyway.

   Well, that looks to me like programs for some analogue computers
   would not be programs and some hardware would be software and many
   other fun consequences. I'm sure it'd not be too long before other
   absurdities could be revealed.

Have you actually programmed an analogue computer?  You are changing
the _hardware_ to make it do things, not software.  Please, if you are
not interested in continuing this disucssion, stop sending stupid
remarks like these.