Finally: Login via SSH authentication with OpenPGP smart card & 100% Free Software PCMCIA reader

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Feb 14 07:50:14 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 02:59:08PM +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 12:06 +0100, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> > this is more a "fyi notice" than anything else
>
> Hehe, well, I think it's great news :D
>
> > * 100% Free Software PCMCIA smart card reader
>
> I'm guessing that it's too expensive for the FSFE to buy and supply
> these, but would it be possible for Fellowship members to club together
> through the FSFE and buy in bulk?

JFYI: The predecessor CardMan 4000 is available for very little money
(immediate purchase for ~ 12 EUR).  from various eBay sellers.  One
Vendor in particular (comcurrent, alles4pc) has told me in personal mails
that he can deliver huge quantities of this end-of-life product.

Together with the cm4040 driver, I've also added a kernel driver for the
cm4000.

However, the cm4000 (unlike the cm4040) is not a CCID device, and
therfore Werners' quick hack for adding pcmcia support to his CCID
driver will not work.

I'm not sure how well gnupg integrates with PC/SC, CT-API or OpenCT
readers.  Those three API's are supported by a correspodning OpenCT backend driver that I wrote.
(OpenCT 100% free software).

So maybe if gnupg works (or can be made work) with PC/SC,CT-API/OpenCT,
it's worth asking Comcurrent/alles4pc how much you would have to pay for
their remaining stock, and how much readers they really have left over.

It's very unlikely that you will get smartcard pcmcia readers that cheap
anytime soon again.

Cheers,
	Harald
--