FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Mon Feb 13 22:40:22 UTC 2006

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

>   Are we disagreeing about appropriateness of the licenses or the
>   facts of the licenses and their provisions?
>
>   Or at least could someone state the resultant area of disagreement
>   for my own edification so I can add it to my mental "watch out for"
>   list.
>
>If the invariant sections are `good' or `bad'.

Thanks.

Is it that you think FDL invariants are "bad" because itS effect stopped
you doing something that you might want to do, which was to take back
the odd new chapter that someone wrote who had released a "updated"
version of your work?

Was there any dispute over whether or not it would have the effect you
did not like, or just whether that effect was "good" or "bad"? Or
perhaos the way you excercise the freedom is cumbersome?

I don't mean to drag up old arguments I just want to understand how it
ended up.

thanks

Sam