Savannah rejects a project because it uses GPL

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Mon Feb 13 19:34:51 UTC 2006

   Debian delivers on its promise: To get a 100% free software
   distribution from debian, get the official distribution by download
   or from any of the places listed on www.debian.org.

Then please explain what ftp.debian.org contains, I consider that a
broken promise.  That you simply state that `non-free' is not part of
Debian is simply not true.  If it isn't, remove it.  I'll be quite a
happy person when that happens, until that day, Debian GNU/Linux and
ports are not 100% free software.

   You can't get a 100% free software distribution from GNU today.

Of course you can't, the goal of the GNU project isn't to create a
distribution.  It is to create a system.  And as it happens, you can
get a version of the GNU system, two infact.

   > Does or does not ftp.debian.org carry non-free software? Does or
   > does not ftp.gnu.org carry non-free software?
   >
   > Clearly, the answer is `Yes. No'.  You are jumping into the realm
   > of itsy bitsy semantics.

   Nonsense. You're playing silly DNS configuration games.
   ftp.debian.org (aka debian-mirror.cs.umn.edu) and ftp.gnu.org are
   not equivalent. If you compared that debian mirror with the main
   GNU mirror (ibiblio), you'd see that both carry non-free software.

The only person playing willynilly games is you who cannot accept the
plain truth that Debian does infact include non-free software.

Cheers.