FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Gareth Bowker tgb at fsfe.org
Sun Feb 12 18:12:38 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 01:47:44PM +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> In theory, anyone can go and make Linux a non-free program, since it
> is simply impossible to enforce the license there.

I suggest you read http://gpl-violations.org/ in order to see where the
GPL has been discussed, and upheld, in court, following companies
attempting to make the Linux kernel proprietary. Harald Welte, who
started the site and wrote some of the Netfilter code, took (and
continues to take) many companies to court over the use of his code,
which is included in the kernel. The violations being sued for now are
on a wider scale than just Netfilter, as I understand it.

Therefore I suggest that it is not impossible to enforce the GPL with
regard to the Linux kernel. It's already been done, many times.

Gareth