Savannah rejects a project because it uses GPL

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sun Feb 12 01:16:23 UTC 2006

simo <simo.sorce at xsec.it>
> Everything can be converted into a set of instructions, does this mean
> that everything is a program ?

No. "can be" suggests a possibility. "is" would indicate a certainty.
Arguing against the certainty does not argue against the possibility.
I do not claim that documentation is software, but that documentation
can be software.

Everything can be put into words, does this mean everything is an essay?

(Actually, I'm not sure about any of those "everything" claims.)

> [...] If you run the postscript program and print the result on paper,
> is that not the document anymore? Of course it is, and printed paper is
> not a program.

Listings magazines and machine-readable strips seemed popular types
of printed paper programs in my youth. Printed paper is not necessarily
a program, but printed paper can be a program. I hope this is clear.

--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html