FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Sat Feb 11 12:01:43 UTC 2006

   [Please don't Cc me on messages to the list; your unsolicited
   message to me arrives first, and the list message gets deleted as a
   duplicate.]

Group reply is the normal form to reply to mailing lists.  If you'd
like to have the list message to get the higher priority, then you
just need to change the order of how you sort your messages.

   > Should's and should not's.

   As specified by the four basic freedoms of the FSF.

The four basic freedoms are for software.

   > I think a `fair use' clause like this in the GFDL would be a good
   > idea where you are not required to include the invariant
   > sections, etc.

   Why is an extra clause necessary? The existing restrictive FDL
   clauses are the cause of the conflict with the for FSF freedoms.

They don't cause any conflicts, the four freedoms of software are for
software; not other works.  Sometimes they make sense for other works,
but sometimes they do not.

   > It is no different than having a GPL incompatible license which
   > happens to be a free software license.

   True, which is why proliferation of licenses is to be strongly
   discouraged.

For a specific branch (like software), I agree whole heartly.  But for
all works, no, since different works need different rights.  You still
don't need to be able to modify this message so that it says something
I didn't write or mean.