FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Fri Feb 10 17:47:29 UTC 2006

   LinuxP2P: Can the GPL be applied to artwork? For example, most of
   the people who submit wallpapers to KDE-Look.org submit them under
   the GPL, would the GPL's terms still apply, considering it isn't
   software.

   RMS: There must be some basic misunderstanding here. If a work is
   released under the GPL, then the GPL's terms apply to it. How could
   it possibly be otherwise?

I didn't claim that it couldn't be applied; I claimed that it doesn't
make much sense to apply to art work, or music.  You have to define
what the source code for music and art work is.  Which isn't as cut
and dry as for software.