Savannah rejects a project because it uses GPL

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Feb 10 15:13:59 UTC 2006

"Alfred M\. Szmidt" <ams at gnu.org>
> You are starting a snowball effect without knowing the story.

No, I only describe what's happened, to the last place I read
good news about the FDL problems.

> First of all,
> did it occur to you maybe that someone simply made a simple mistake?

Yes, and if that's the case, I'd hope someone would set me straight
swiftly.  Do you have any evidence that the recent changes to
http://savannah.gnu.org/faq/?group_id=5802&question=Project_-_How_to_get_it_approved_quickly.txt
and this rejection are all mistakes of one person? I can't see
how to get the editor details of the FAQ, but presumably all
the Savannah team get to see the change when it happens.

> You claim that there seems to be a change of policy, please back that
> up.

There are Savannah-hosted projects (including GNU software)
which use GPL for documentation. I hope that you can understand
why I'm not going to name them today: it is painful to transfer
hosting away from Savannah (export is still incomplete).

Sebastian Wieseler seems the keenest promoter of FDL among
the project reviewers, but can you see for yourself in the
tracker that his messages about it have recently changed
from a suggestion to an instruction. If it really is all his
doing, hopefully other savannah-hackers will speak out and
rethink how much unreviewed action one person can take.

Bluely,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask