FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Frank Heckenbach frank at g-n-u.de
Thu Feb 9 20:53:51 UTC 2006

Bjoern Schiessle wrote:

> Personally i understand both sides.
> On one side manuals are basically as functional as software, so
> everyone should have the same freedom for manuals as for software.
> On the other side we have the GFDL which was afaik mainly written with
> real books in mind. I can understand when the FSF wants to release
> their books with a special foreword or a special front- and back
> cover and i agree that it's not fundamentally necessary that people
> can change the foreword or the cover of a book.

But GFDL is much stricter (and of course, more complicated) than
that. AFAICS, this scenario (which I think can be quite reasonable)
can be achieved by "mere aggregation" of free (say, GPL) content
plus less-free (say, CC by-nd) foreword, cover texts, etc.

Frank

Frank Heckenbach, frank at g-n-u.de
http://fjf.gnu.de/
GnuPG and PGP keys: http://fjf.gnu.de/plan (7977168E)