FDL again, was: My concerns about GPLv3 process

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Wed Feb 8 13:46:48 UTC 2006

   In theory you can share manuals but this is limited by invariant
   sections and the requirement to put all authors onto the title
   page.

   Including a few lines of the Emacs manual into Jed's manual
   (assuming that is GFDLed) would require to also include the GNU
   Manifesto and other stuff.  Some people might want to state their
   opinon on some of Richard's thoughts too and voila another
   invariant sections needs to be carried on.

   Sure, you can do that but the extra texts are irrelevant, dead
   weight and might not convey the intention of the author.

Werner, I'm really not following you.  Either you can share something,
or you cannot.  Obviously, you can share GFDl:ed manuals, I hope we
can agree on that.  What you are speaking about is combining different
works, this isn't the same thing as sharing.  Even the GPL has some
dead weight.

A few lines of material cannot be considered a legally significant
change.  So you are free to include those few lines and ignoring the
license (basically).  If you wish to incoperate a whole page, or
chapter, it would be better to simply refer to it and not include it
if you do not wish to have the invariant sections.  The same thing
applies to GPLed works which you wish to include in non-free programs,
where you have to jump around abunch of hoops to be able to do that.

Cheers.