Software patents: They're back!

William New wnew at ip-watch.ch
Mon Feb 6 14:06:13 UTC 2006

Hi, just wanted to add a couple of things to the discussion for whatever
they're worth. I've been meaning to contribute another argument made by
Guenther Schmalz of SAP at the recent lobbyist meeting in Prague reported in
Intellectual Property Watch
(http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=195&res=1680_ff&print=0) and
mentioned in Heise. He said software development is "not cheap" because they
do coding and testing, while "free riders" will follow. "Those who innovate
need patent protection, imitators don't," was his message.

He also said that www.economicmajority.com had 1,948 companies, representing
31,503 employees, and 3,258,244,082 EUR turnover, while SAP in Europe is 20
companies with 20,000 employees, representing 7,514,000,000 EUR in turnover.
His point was to question the economic majority argument.

I also would like to clarify that Intellectual Property Watch (cited as
ip-watch below) does not formally take a position on software patents in
Europe. We are trying to report on the process in the name of transparency
but are not actually engaging in advocacy. Best, William New, Editor