My concerns about GPLv3 process

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Feb 1 17:33:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:33:17 +0100, Alfred M\ Szmidt said:

> Because PGP was software, not documentation.  Such a clause would be
> prefectly ok for free documentation.

Again: Documentation is part of the software.  All my clients
rightfully expect documentaion along with the code.  Of course it is
up to the author to decide how much documentation is required but
nevertheless software without documentaion is usually of minor
quality.

Think of literate programming; there the code is actually part of the
documentation and not vice-versa.

>    For example a book on networks might want to include the OOB-Data
>    text from glibc.  With 48 lines (w/o the example) it is clearly
>    beyond fair use.

> You can ask the FSF to make a execption for examples.  This makes
> sense, and I doubt anyone would object.

I tried to tell that there are 48 lines of actual description (a work)
plus some more lines with examples.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner