Issues with how the GNU GPL is used for Linux (the kernel)

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Wed Feb 1 16:42:46 UTC 2006

Jan Braunisch wrote:

>>>If the code is Free Software under the GPL, may I only use GPL v2 as
>>>Linus says or am i allowed to use any version of the GPL if i want to
>>>redistribute it, according to "If the Program does not specify a version
>>>number of this License, you may choose any version ever published by the
>>>Free Software Foundation." under section 9 of the GPL.
>>>

>>No, the Authors clearly stated that only v2 applies for the kernel as a
>>whole, again single files may be under a different license (GPL
>>compatible), and so, some of them may be under a GPL version that allow
>>them to be used with the future GPLv3 license. Again to determine it you
>>should really contact the authors of the files and ask them.
>>

>What if I take the kernel from before that notice was added?
>Then there would be nothing at all specifying that only the GPL v2 should be
>used.

indeed.... and all those pro GPL3 developers can let you take their patches.
The trouble is patches are often re-worked during application; whose
patches are they then?

>I also would also like to poit out that the GPL under section 0 says:
>
>This License applies to any program or other work which contains a notice
>placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed under the terms
>of this General Public License.
>
>Such a notice is not present for most of the files in the kernel sorce.
>

>What if Torvalds would add want to relicense Linux under the GPL v3, could he
>change the COPYING file without the permission of all the people that have
>added code to the kernel without specifying a license?

It was said that the COPYING file signifies the authors intentions. I
think we need to ask if many of the kernel developers ever had any
intention relating to gpl2/gpl3 at all.

I've contributed snippets to the kernel under another name and I never
had any particular intention. (Someone else signed them off, it was
post-SCO)

Sam