What free software licensing books have been published?

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Fri Dec 29 20:36:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 14:55 +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> The Wikipedia page:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software_license
> has four:
>
> 1. The Rise of Open Source Licensing, by Mikko Valimaki
> 2. Die GPL kommentiert und erklart, by ifrOSS (a German organisation)
> 3. Understanding Open Source and Free Software Licensing, by Andrew M. St. Laurent
> 4. Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and Intellectual Property Law, by Larry Rosen
>
> I don't know if any of them are any good.  I've heard the 2nd one is good,
> but I can't read German.  I have a suspicion that the 4th is quite bad.
>
> Does anyone know of other books?

Putting some of those listed into Google scholar returns possible titles
which cite the above - you might be able to find more of what you're
looking for that way.

On what basis do you suspect the Rosen book is bad, btw?

(Aside from the coverage of 'controversies', eg. SCO, I was of the
impression it was basically a factual hand-in-hand walk through basic IP
law?)

Cheers,

Alex.