this needs wide distribution

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Fri Dec 22 10:25:13 UTC 2006

Sex, 2006-12-22 às 11:03 +0100, Xavi Drudis Ferran escreveu:

> > If you notice, I said "reject this backstage deal".
> >

> Then I must beg your pardon but I thought "this backstage deal"
> meant an arragement between Novell and MS to develop and
> distribute an extension to OpenOffice.org that will export OXML
> files from ODF documents. I'd like you to elaborate what did you
> mean by backstage deal.

The deal was negotiated in backstages, and presented as a consumated
fact, co-announced by Microsoft and Novell.

> > There's no need for this "backstage deal" in order for OO.o to support
> > OpenXML.
> >

> Now, I'm completely lost. So you think it would be good if OO.o was
> able to export to OpenXML as long as it wasn't MS who payed for it ?
> Or are you talking some other functionality?. I guess you mean OpenXML
> _import_ into OO.o ? But not far in this thread this was said to be
> unfeasible, and from what I hear I think it is unfeasible, since
> completely importing OpenXML documents would mean implementing all
> MS Offisce and most MS Windows functionality with possibly third party
> add ons.

I don't think supporting it at all has any particular relevance. Taking
in account all the non implementable stuff, what's the difference
between using Microsoft's format, as currently done, and yet another
"denial of service" format?

> > 	 This was a deal which has had already achieved enormous
> > success:
> >        LOOK HOW WE'RE FIGHTING EACH OTHER OVER THIS SUBJECT!
> >

> Are we ? . At least it's not my intention. I'm still in the phase
> of trying to understand you, since it seems I didn't. Once I understand
> I may give opinion on your opinion or not. Fighting you seems unnecessary.
> I'd be surprised if you ever became any form of threat after being
> helpful all along. But I'd like not to happen to me, that's why I'm
> listening.

Not "we" in particular, but there's a lot of angst and mild irritation
over this subject mostly everywhere.

Peace :)

Rui

+ So let's do it...?