Groklaw: The Way Forward -- Georg Greve Responds to Groklaw's Comments

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Tue Dec 12 11:03:46 UTC 2006

FYI:

Much to my surprise, PJ just put my wrap-up on Groklaw, as well

and there is already one interesting comment

  http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20061212025314700&title=Thank%20you%20for%20your%20comments&type=article&order=&hideanonymous=0&pid=0#c516264

  It's dumb in a way but I had not really thought about how to handle
  people sending me documents to date. Leading on from that you can
  avoid some of the 'upset' if the document is invited by asking,
  politely, for it to be submitted in an ISO approved standard like
  ODF up front. If you routinely get documents sent in make it known
  you infinitely prefer the ISO standard of ODF. Sure some will still
  thoughtlessly send you MS formats but it starts the process, it
  helps emphasise there is an ISO standard out there etc. I shall be
  putting a little note on my website next time I edit it even though
  few send me documents and trying to remember to do so when I am
  'inviting' documents in other ways. Simply to make the point
  politely up front I have a prefered standard has value in 'spreading
  the word' there is one out there; even if many will ignore it.

which made me think that maybe there could be a web button for this,
that essentially says "Please send me documents in the ISO-based Open
Document Format (ODF)" -- only in a more elegant way.

Regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                 <greve at fsfeurope.org>