Advocacy Project in High Schools

Stefano Maffulli stef at zoomata.com
Mon Dec 11 11:38:59 UTC 2006

Hello Marco,

thanks for summarizing this.  You have done already a good job.
Exciting :)

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 16:51 +0100, Madero wrote:
> And now here I am, ready to tell you what I've discovered with my
> little poll. I talked with 14-17 age guys from Milan, attending to
> technical schools like "Itis", or other kind of schools like "Liceo
> Classico" or "Liceo Scientifico".
> After explaining what I was talking about (nearly nobody had ever
> heard the term Free Software), I asked them (a sample of 60 guys) if
> they would be interested in a talk in their school about Free Software
> and strictly related subjects.
> All of them (without exceptions) asserted that they wouldn't join in a
> talk like this, but that they would be without doubt interested in
> speech about <something more general> involving also Free Software,
> not just it.

Can you provide more details about the questions you have asked and how
you approached the poll itself?  We might want to try replicating it in
other schools too.

> LIST OF POSSIBLE TOPICS, WITH AN AVERAGE OF THE RANKS RETURNED BY THE
> 60 VOTERS (Min 1 / Max 5)
[...]
> Even if these topics may appear too much common, you should realize
> that speech's recipients are inexperienced users.

Absolutely: software and free software have practical implications, and
too few are interested or ready to understand them without somebody
pointing them out clearly and loudly. Your poll already suggests paths
that can be followed.

cheers
stef