Recordings talks about Free Software

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Aug 29 15:55:05 UTC 2006

Patrick Ohnewein <patrick.ohnewein at lugbz.org> wrote:
> If I get it right, the user grands all freedoms to YouTube. If he uses a
> free content license he would grant the freedoms to everyone not just to
> YouTube.
>
> Where is the problem?

One that I spotted: it is not possible to copyleft/GPL/ShareAlike
anything on YouTube reliably, as YouTube can sublicense under whatever
terms they want if it promotes themselves.

Calling that fine for free content is similar to saying that only being
able to use BSD-style terms reliably would be fine for free software:
it's technically true in one way, but hides some big issues.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray - see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
North End, Lynn, Norfolk, England