Recordings talks about Free Software

Patrick Ohnewein patrick.ohnewein at lugbz.org
Sun Aug 27 13:09:28 UTC 2006

Georg C. F. Greve schrieb:
> The last time I checked I found it impossible to simply view many of
> the videos on YouTube with Free Software, so my evaluation of the site
> stopped right there.
>
> Has this changed?

I don't use YouTube and I don't know about the formats of the content
posted on it. I think it's Flash and maybe it can be viewed with a free
flash player. GNASH comes to my mind, but I didn't test it yet.

I suggested it, because it seams to have a nice structure of
categorizing it's content through categories and tags.

There are probably two problems with using YouTube:

1) YouTube is only for videos, not for transcripts, audio files, etc.

2) I suppose their terms of use will be too restrictive. But I didn't check.

If these problems would not exist using YouTube could have some advantages:

1) We don't have to spend resources to implement our own system.

2) Putting content about Free Software on YouTube would be a good
channel for distribution even outside of the FSFE community.

I suggested it, because I thought it could provide some inspiration for
who will implement the system on the fellowship site.

Happy hacking!
Patrick