OpenSolaris logo licence

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:21:22 UTC 2005

Hello,

Browsing through the OpenSolaris.org website today I came across the
"OpenSolaris Fan Buttons and Banners"[0] page.

Clicking on a button brings you to a licence page for that image. The
full text is below

OpenSolaris Fan Button and Banner Trademark License

Sun Microsystems, Inc. is pleased to offer you a limited license to
use the OpenSolaris Fan Button or Banner depicted below, but does not
transfer title in this Fan Button or Banner or its included Sun
trademark - OpenSolaris.

Your use of an OpenSolaris Technology Fan Button or Banner on your Web
site indicates you agree to the following terms of the OpenSolaris Fan
Button and Banner Trademark License and of the OpenSolaris Fan Button
and Banner Usage Guidelines.

   1. The OpenSolaris Technology Fan Button or Banner must be
configured on your Web site as an active link back to the OpenSolaris
technology web page at http://opensolaris.org.
   2. The OpenSolaris Technology Fan Buttons or Banner is intended
solely for use and display in HTML on the World Wide Web. Do not use
it in advertising/promotional materials, collateral, products, labels,
packaging or any other printed material.
   3. Your use of the OpenSolaris Technology Fan Button or Banner
acknowledges Sun's ownership of the button/banner and the included Sun
trademarks, including OpenSolaris, and such use inures to the benefit
of Sun Microsystems, Inc. Sun grants you no rights in the Fan Button
or Banner or the included trademarks other than those described
herein. Any other use may be considered an infringement.
   4. While Sun welcomes constructive criticism of the OpenSolaris
technology, You may not use the Fan Button or Banner or any Sun
trademark on a web page which contains subject matter which Sun
considers, at its sole discretion, in poor taste or to be disparaging
to Sun or its products or services.
   5. This license is revocable at any time at Sun's sole discretion.
In addition, if we find that You are not following the terms of this
license or the OpenSolaris Technology Fan Button and Banner Usage
Guidelines, we will give You twenty-one (21) days after our electronic
notice to either cure the violation or remove the Fan Button or Banner
from your web site. Sun further reserves the right, at its sole
discretion, to modify this license, the Fan Button and Banner Usage
Guidelines, or the Button/Banner itself, or to terminate this entire
program or any aspect of it. You will have thirty (30) days after
electronic notice to conform to the new changes and/or guidelines.

Is this licence acceptable as a free software licence? I'm interested
in the following points

4. Sun welcomes constructive criticism but do not use this image on a
site that is critical of Sun.

5. Sun reserves the right to revoke the licence for these images at any time

Thanks for any opinions you have about it

[0] http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/buttons/
--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com