German software licensing law

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at RealMeasures.dyndns.org
Tue Sep 27 13:44:53 UTC 2005

Well, it's not that copyright licenses don't bind people; it's
that the GPL only exercises rights that authors have been
accorded control over.  Authors under copyright policy have the
unilateral right to stipulate certain terms for their works.

The GPL doesn't require consent and is not a contract because
copyright doesn't require consent.

Some licenses are contracts, so they can be referred to as
"license agreements."  The GPL is not a license agreement, it's
just a notice.

It's not as if the GPL found a magic category of the law that
works without binding people.  Rather, the GPL does bind people
using the author's statutory right to control derivative works,
and it binds them without their consent.  It's just that the bind
is to conditions that assure the code remains free.

Binding without consent sounds bad, but it's not, any more than
copyright is.  It's just that the GPL chooses to use copyright to
invert itself.  Recognizing that copyright could be used to
impose freedom without requiring consent was a master stroke,
that effectively subverts the whole trend toward contractually
licensing things; i.e., authors setting whatever rules they feel
like as if they had those rights, through the use of contracts.

Authors don't call all the shots for their works, at all.  They
call about 6 shots (in the U.S. code), which have been
specifically accorded to them by statute.  Those rights can be
taken away by Congress, just as they have been granted by
Congress.  So the way other people try to create contractual
license approaches, expanding copyright illegitimately, is
subverted by the GPL's restricting itself to only the rights that
are given to authors by statute.

This is also why RMS is cautious about proposals to change
copyright law.  He needs to make sure that the magic power of the
GPL is not undermined by those proposals.

Seth