German software licensing law

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Sep 27 12:42:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 22:35 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > English is probably the simplest of the most spoken languages
>
> This must be some strange new usage of the word "simple" I hadn't
> previously been aware of.

You don't speak Portuguese do you? It has many, many more syntax and
semantic constructions than those you can easily create.

English grammar and semantics are way simpler than that of Portuguese,
French or even German. :)

> > (although by far not the most spoken), so it would be a shame if two
> > people on one country couldn't make an agreement in another language
> > because of the law.
>
> English is not a global language; like most languages with large
> numbers of users, it is fractured into dozens of incompatible
> dialects.

I think you greatly overestimate the number of incompatible dialects of
english when faced against other languages (even ones that are more
spoken over the world).

Rui

+ So let's do it...?