Document about Free Software/Open Source

C. Grobmeier grobmeier at possessed.de
Mon Nov 28 12:57:05 UTC 2005

Hi all,

as a fan of fs/os i want to see more acceptance for this in my company.
I have figured out, that even programmers in my company have lack of
knowledge about FS/OS. To change this, i would like to collect
information and write a document about this. Well, i searched amazon
and didn't find any book. Google brought billions of hits.

i would like to ask if somebody would like to share his/her link
collection with me or would like to discuss what's a must have in such a
document.

In my first ideas i though about this topics:

- what means free software and open source?
- what are licenses and which are wellknown (GPL, LGPL, Apache2, BSD)
- how big development-groups work and can survive (apache and gnu)
- where to find free software and seperate the good from the bad (is
this project dying or not in nearest future? can i use it anyway)
- how to get involved

I know there is a lot information on the net (sometimes i think i read
it all ;-)) but i missed a "book". I would like to try to communicate
with OS-Developers and write about their experiences with open source.
why do they do such things? what's the benefit?

Let me know what you think about such an idea. If you know similar
papers which are better than i could do :-) let me know. If you have
another ideas- tell me.

So, keep on hacking & cheers,
Chris.