Fw: Query about GNU-GPL

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Mar 30 21:34:37 UTC 2005

Niall wrote:
> No, theft is when you lose what was due to you by right. [...]

I was very disappointed that you religicised the discussions
here with talk of "zealotry" and "believers". Now you are
appealing to strange dictionary definitions too. Stop it.

Most people (and the dictionaries on my bookshelf) regard theft
as obtaining something with the intent to deprive the previous
holder of it. If you obtain a copy of a literary work, the
previous holder still holds the copyright. It is still a crime,
"moral" or not.

I don't know whether to argue with you about the other aspects.
This is probably not the best forum. I do not think that we "live
under" a pure capitalist system and I am quite glad for that. It
is not a silver bullet. Then again, we seem to agree on some
of the problems, despite differences over reasons or solutions.

Please, if you continue, can you keep it on-topic and polite?
There is no need to use religious language or extreme politics.

--
Hoping for a kind hearing,

MJR/slef
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/