Fw: Query about GNU-GPL

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope2 at nedprod.com
Wed Mar 23 13:11:40 UTC 2005

On 23 Mar 2005 at 11:05, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

>    >     Despite what the GPL FAQ may say,
>    >
>    > Frankly, I trust the GPL FAQ--which is based on answers from >
>    lawyers--more then I trust what your opinion on the matter is.
>
>    The GPL FAQ is not based on answers from lawyers, rather it is
>    written by GPL zealots like yourself and then it is reviewed by
>    lawyers to see if their interpretation has some legal basis, which
>    it does.
>
> I will ignore the personal attacks this time; but I suggest that you
> stop that kind of crap on a list where people who are interested in
> protecting your freedom are subscribed.

I as many other free software believers would argue that the GPL is a
necessary evil (ask any BSD believer). You know there is more than
one kind of free software than GPL and it doesn't help with people
ramming the GPL without qualification down the throat of anyone who
asks.

> The GPL FAQ is infact based on answers from lawyers (Molgen I belive),
> and people who have better knowledge about the GPL then you at the
> FSF.

Lawyers will write what you ask them if you pay them so long as the
view you ask for can be supported by a particular interpretation of
the law. Just as equally, I could pay often the exact same lawyer to
write my interpretation of the law.

Lawyers don't determine the interpretation of the law, courts do. So
go on believing that the GPL FAQ is the one true interpretation of
the law if you like, though if you read it closely you will find it
puts provisos that its interpretation of the shared library issue is
not the only one.

Cheers,
Niall