Fw: Query about GNU-GPL

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at kemisten.nu
Wed Mar 23 11:02:41 UTC 2005

   > ,----[ The GNU General Public License - Section 2 ]
   > | b. You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that
   > |    in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program
   > |    or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge
   > |    to all third parties under the terms of this License.
   > `----

   According to my understanding of the matter, if I use the GNU GPL,
   then these conditions apply to people who want to use my code.  A
   library with a different license may permit me to use and
   distribute it in combination with my package.  However, this
   doesn't make that library part of "the Program", i.e., my package,
   nor does it cause the GNU GPL to apply to the library.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but if "the Program" uses the
library, then the library is part of "the Program", and as such the
whole thing must fall under the GNU GPL[0], since "You must cause any
work that you distribute or publish, [...], to be licensed as a whole
at no charge to all third aprties under the terms of this License".

[0]: I'm ignoring the case when the non-free library has a similar
clause that states that the programs linking to the library must be
under the terms of the non-free license.