Fw: Linux Party [warning political]

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 17:14:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:56:28 +0000, Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 18:49 +0000, Simon Morris wrote:
> > Windows is just Windows - Linux can be what you need it to be
>
> I don't understand what you're comparing.
>
> Windows vs Linux? Shouldn't that be kernel32.dll vs Linux?
>
> Or perhaps you're meaning GNU/Linux vs Windows, but many (if not most)
> of the reasons to use GNU/Linux exist in other Free Software operating
> systems, like many *BSDs, so what then?
>
> Windows vs Free Software?
>
> Then you're comparing rotten apples with sweet tangerines.

Hi Rui,

I was trying to say that there are many more varied implementations of
Linux than Windows.

For example it is not uncommon for users to start off on a very
userfriendly distro such as Mandrake which suits their immediate needs
and then move onto a more advanced distro such as Debian when the time
comes.

With Windows you get a copy of Windows...... and thats pretty much it.
You can't really customise it to suit your experience level (apart
from minor UI changes)

Also, I was thinking about the number of distributions and projects
that take Linux and suit it to fit a very specific need, such as
firewall distros (IPCop, Smoothwall), media distros (Movix), recovery
distros (BG-Rescue Linux), distros created purely for localised
languages (Arabbix, Blin Linux), distros to run on extremely small
devices (Damn Small Linux)

( I used distrowatch.com for that list and barely scratched the
surface.. been ages since I looked for new and quirky releases... I
need to go buy some blank CD-R's for this weekend )

How about this one... Oralux

"Oralux is a Knoppix-based GNU/Linux distribution for blind or
visually impaired people. Its user interface is based on Emacspeak, an
audio desktop created by T. V. Raman. Emacspeak offers a complete and
powerful desktop. The CD includes Flite, a free Text-To-Speech
software available in English and French, but other languages might be
included upon request. Oralux provides visually impaired users with
the ability to peruse available documentation, send and receive email,
browse the Internet and other common tasks."

Can you think of a better example of moulding technology to fit the users needs?

Try and get Windows to do that :)

So my point was with Windows you buy into the product and you get a
capable OS, however should you want it to do a very specific task the
chances are you are going to have issues. With Linux you can make it
how you want it to be

:)

~sm