Linux Party [warning political]

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 22:14:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:09:00 -0500 (EST), Sid Dabster
<sid_dabster at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > I think there are better ways to do something then
> > founding a political
> > party if you want to help Free Software. Help
> > building a local Free
> > Software organisation which focus on the political
> > issues.
>
> Several people have said pressure groups are better,
> and hinted that they exist, I know of no
> multi-platform anti-M$ pressure group. In fact one
> of the main problems is that there is no medium sized
> or large organisation against Microsoft and everyone
> is complaining on their own in isolation, and feeling
> powerless.

So is this Political party you propose a pro-Linux party or a
anti-Microsoft party? Because being pro-Linux and anti-Microsoft ARE
NOT MUTALLY EXCLUSIVE!!!

First of all in order to sell your manifesto to impartial observers
whose support you want to gather you can't go in there just saying "I
am anti-Microsoft"

The term anti is a negative term, it's going to make you sound like a
bitter oddball. I think the only terms I could give my support to that
include the term 'anti' would possibly 'anti-software patent' because
software patents are an issue that do affect a majority of people
(anyone who uses a computer) and patents have a social impact on most
peoples lives (preventing innovation, restricting freedom of
expression etc)

Also possibly depending on other circumstances anti-war may be an
acceptable political point-of-view.

But simply being anti-Microsoft is not going to get you any serious support.

Explain to your electorate *why* you are anti-Microsoft... practice
that spiel on us first.

Are you anti-Microsoft because they support the use of Software
Patents? If so then you need to describe your party as an
anti-software patent movement (which by the way I would be behind much
more than your current idea)... as IBM are currently the worlds
biggest holder of software patents.... Novell must be in there too as
well as companies such as Sun, SCO etc.

Is using Microsoft Windows Server any more or less ethical in terms of
the Free software ethos than using say Novell Netware? Neither are
free, neither protect the freedom of rights of their users.

What about Solaris on SPARC? That is a non-free OS. Are you also
campaigning against Sun?

Are you suggesting running a anti-MS party because they are
anti-competitive? Well this has already been through the courts and
they have been fined. What is your answer to that when your electorate
asks?

( Can I just say at this point I am neither a MS user or apologist. I
just don't like Linux users to be portrayed as fanatical
anti-Microsoft campaigners simply because it is fashionable. There
needs to be substance to this stance as well )

You need to chip away at the practices that makes MS an unsavoury
company. The fact they don't protect the freedom of their users, their
strategy of locking users in, their practice of selling software to
poor 3rd world countries and forcing them into a expensive upgrade
cycle.

Being Anti-MS isn't enough

~sm