Linux Party [warning political]

Sid Dabster sid_dabster at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 16 12:09:00 UTC 2005

--- Matthias Kirschner <mk at fsfe.org> wrote:
> Hi Sid,
> some questions:
>
> * Sid Dabster <sid_dabster at yahoo.ca> [2005-03-14
> 14:57:58 -0500]:
>
> > The Legalise Cannabis Alliance/Party was started
> in
> > Norwich in 1997, where I live, by a few ex-Labour
> party
> > members.
>
> Is Norwich a city? In Canada? How many people are
> living there?

Norwich is a city in England, about 120,000 live
there.

> > no difference. After LCP was formed they stood in
> > handful of seats (five) and within a few years the
>
> > government had reduce the criminal offence of
> > carrying it to virtual nothing and started trials
> > of Cannabis for medical use.
>
> The government of Norwich or the government of
> your country?

The government of the UK.
I cannot make the meeting in Norwich on the 20th
March, because of a clash with another meeting I
going to.

> [...]
>
> > I hope have not upset anyone, but I feel compeled
> to do something
> > because I feel so strongly about this issue.
>
> I think there are better ways to do something then
> founding a political
> party if you want to help Free Software. Help
> building a local Free
> Software organisation which focus on the political
> issues.

Several people have said pressure groups are better,
and hinted that they exist, I know of no
multi-platform anti-M$ pressure group. In fact one
of the main problems is that there is no medium sized
or large organisation against Microsoft and everyone
is complaining on their own in isolation, and feeling
powerless.