FLOSS/Linux Political Party

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Thu Mar 3 20:25:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 14:36 -0500, Sid Dabster wrote:
> --- Simo Sorce <simo.sorce at xsec.it> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 19:36 -0500, Sid Dabster
> > wrote:
> > > *** Proposal for a FLOSS/Linux Political Party ***
> > >

> > A political party would be the worst move ever.
> > 1. Political parties tends to make enemies in other
> > parties, that will
> > make our cause isolated to a tiny group of
> > "fanatics". We may loose the
> > support currently being given us by nearly all
> > parties.
>
> On the positive side it will give us a voice, as
> most people and politician have not heard of us
> yet.

Ok, I did not meant to start a flame, but "us" who?

I think you see the community too much as a whole and think it is a
single coherent mind.
It's not. Free Software IS not politically colored.
I know people that truly believe in free software that come from the
most different political backgrounds and orientation.

What would you do, once elected on (99%) matters that do not regard free
software and Linux?

Now, on your point, we DO HAVE a voice, we do not need a party to lobby
for free software, and we already do it (at least here in Italy we do).

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Garofalo, 39 - 20133 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2953 4143 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399