FLOSS/Linux Political Party

Sid Dabster sid_dabster at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 3 00:36:26 UTC 2005

*** Proposal for a FLOSS/Linux Political Party ***

I suggest a Linux Party is formed to promote the idea
of free software (and possibly related ideas). The
last European Election with the patent issue showed
the relevance of politics to the free software
movement. Voting purely on patents lead to some
undesirable alliance partners. While as LUG Radio
noted, the patent issue did not brake through into the
mainstream media. If free software is to gain mass
use, we need decision makers and media to be more
aware. A Linux party with a free post drop and media
time will do this just as other single issue parties
have.

Q. What would be involved
A. For a reasonable campaign per constituency
   i.  12 signatures and a 500 pound deposit
   ii. A leaflet designed on a personal computer
   iii.50,000 copies would be duplicated (these
       can contain adverts) about 250 pounds
   iv. Turning up to 2 husting (optional), just
       repeat the same answer to each question.
   v.  5 minutes radio interview.

"Manifesto" Could include
    *Use of FLOSS, Linux*
     no to DRM
     no software and look & feel patents
     open hardware
     standards (end vendor lock-in)
     free books
     end of EULAs
     no coding obfuscation
     DeCSS, freedom to watch DVDs
     Write what code you want
     End security paranoia
     freedom to listen to CDs
     stop criminalising end users
     Anti-Microsoft
     etc.
     etc.

Remember IP and computers are more important than
ever, several billion may be saved by using FLOSS.
Want more hospitals, tax cuts etc.

PS. As an FLOSS idea, I welcome copying and improving
(anti-SPAM and virus policy) the document. Perhaps the
party could have an honorary President like RMS, Linus
or Alan Cox. I forgot to mention setting up a party
involves 3 people signing some forms and a start up
fee of 150 pounds. I can imagine Tux or GNU on the
ballot paper now.